By Jon Christensen
- What is the central difference of opinion on nature reserve design that this article highlights?
- What does the author mean by “fortress conservation”? Do you think this is a fair portrayal? What information do you feel you need to formulate your own opinion?
- The author uses several metaphors of conflict—”fortress,” “smoking gun,” “barricades,” and others. What does this language convey about his message? What do you think of this word choice?
- Check out the websites listed below of organizations that purport to do community-based conservation. Are their approaches similar? Do they fit the notion of community conservation as described by Christensen in the article?
Websites for Further Information
- Community Conservation: www.communityconservation.org
- Conservation Practice: conservationpractice.org
- Sonoran Institute: www.sonoran.org
More Information on Community-based Conservation
- Berkes, F. 2004. Rethinking community-based conservation. Conservation Biology 18: 621-630.
- Community-based conservation
- Nature reserve design
- Conservation policy